Pure Demo Days #3
Written by Dan Morgan, Tuesday, 14 February 2006
We are still buzzing in the wake of Pure Demo Days #2 last month—and due to demand and the popularity of the event, we plan to build the stand once more a little earlier than expected.
Featuring only Winter 2007 skis, Pure Demo Days #3 will take place on the slopes of Tignes in France, headquartered in the village resort Tignes les Brevieres.
Full Details follow:
Tignes les Brevieres is an attractive place to stay, as it is a proper village rather than a purpose built ski resort. It has a small supermarket, a gift shop/newsagents, and several bars and restaurants. The latter in particular are very popular as lunchtime destinations; the food is good and the runs down to them are picturesque and varied. Otherwise the village is pretty quiet, and as there is no bus link to the larger towns, this is not a first choice for those looking for teeming night life, although there is usually at least one evening visit to Val d’lsere for the more adventurous of us.
The price includes:
* Coach from Plymouth:
If we fill the coach, pick-up points will be Sound Skis, Exeter, Heathrow and Dover only, otherwise we may have to make a detour to meet up with another group. A minimum of 15 passengers is needed to guarantee a Plymouth pick up, and if this is not met, alternative transport will be arranged to meet the coach at the next nearest pick-up point – probably Bristol.
* Half board accommodation:
Hucksters Lodge is a recently refurbished chalet, featuring mostly twin rooms with en-suite facilities and there is a lounge/dining area with DVD player, widescreen TV and Playstation. It is situated approximately 200m away from the Sache telecabine and has wonderful views of the piste. We have booked this as our first option, and it will be filled on a "first come, first served" basis. If our numbers exceed Hucksters’ capacity, alternative accommodation will be arranged in resort. Should you wish to book a single room, a supplement of £80 would be payable.
Meals include a choice of cooked or continental breakfast, tea/coffee and cakes after skiing and a three course dinner with wine, but the staff will usually have Tuesday night off, so please expect to eat out then. As we leave the resort on a Saturday evening we will also need to make alternative dining arrangements then.
* Super-Tignes lift pass:
Full area upgrades and seventh day passes will be available (see over). Brevières is the lowest village on the Espace Killy system, but we have usually been able to ski all the way back at the end of the day, even in April. There will be hotel staff available to ski with you, and show you around the resort; most people find they fall into a group which suits their ability. On arrival, we will be given further information about this service, the minibus shuttle, equipment hire and lessons.
This is compulsory, and although it provides good cover for medical and rescue expenses, we strongly recommend that you extend your house insurance to include lost or damaged possessions.
The price does not include:
* Equipment hire. If prepaid, the prices can be held at £15 for boots, £40 for skis and £50 for boards. If you wish to upgrade, you can do so in resort. Our rental equipment is another option to consider - in some cases it may be be a little more expensive, but it will be in good condition, almost certainly new this season and you’ll save yourself a couple of trips to the hire shop.
* Lessons, except for complete beginners, who can choose to have three lessons in exchange for a restricted lift pass, or to take the beginner’s package.
* Lift pass upgrades or the seventh day’s pass.
(£25 and £15 respectively when prepaid - slightly more if you pay in euros through Direct Control in resort.)
PLEASE REMEMBER TO BRING:
* E111 (available at Post Offices or now online)
* Photo for lift pass
* As well as the obvious ski gear, good eye and skin protection are essential
* Means to pay for extra days/upgrades for your lift pass, upgrading of hire equipment, up to two evening meals, lunches and drinks.
BOOKING FOR THE SKI TEST NOW CLOSED
Good luck & hope to see you on the slopes!
Reader Comments on Pure Demo Days #3